As promised in my ‘Vegetarian’ blog, here’s one of our FAVORITE vegetarian recipes. You’d be hard pressed to tell there isn’t meat in these filling little beauties. Not even kidding.
These cooked balls freeze well and make a quick, easy meal. So go ahead and make a double batch while you’re at it. There may not be many leftovers, but if there is, try a meat(less) ball sandwich on a sour dough hoagie. YUM!!
If you’d like to try some protein rich pasta, we like Ronzoni – Garden Delight or Barilla Plus. Each has about 7 to 10 grams of protein, per serving.
3's Meat(less) Balls
Adapted from: www.ohsheglows.com
400 degree oven // 20 minutes total – Approximately 16 balls
- 4 eggs; slightly beaten
- 1 c mozzarella shredded cheese
- 1 c sharp cheddar shredded cheese
- ¾ c walnuts; ground to a fine texture
- 1 c rolled oats (Quaker Oatmeal) – do NOT use the ‘quick’ oats
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- Approx 2 T TOTAL of Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Marjoram Leaves (or Italian Seasoning) (to taste)
- Approx 1 T of Garlic Powder (to taste)
- Black Pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
Mix all of the above ingredients together using a power mixer. Mix well. Place in fridge for a MINIMUM of 30 minutes. Do not refridgerate less than 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 9 x 13 metal baking dish with cooking spray (Pam). Remove the mixture from the fridge and roll into small balls (1 ¼ inch or so). Place them in the sprayed baking dish and bake, uncovered, for approximately 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove from oven, roll the balls over and bake for another 10 to 12 minutes. The meatless balls should brown nicely. NOTE: Flattening of the meatless balls is normal.
- 1 jar of Classico Marinara sauce (or your preference)
- 1 small can of petite Italian diced tomatoes
Mix together in a saucepan; warm through. You can either place the cooked meatless balls in the sauce and simmer until ready to eat (this helps keep them moist) OR serve them on top of spaghetti/spaghetti sauce.