I have a teensy tiny confession to make. I, um, miscalculated the amount of cheese needed for this recipe and ended up doubling what the recipe calls for. It was really oooey-gooey cheesy good though. Maybe I should ‘miscalculate’ more often.
I’ve adapted this recipe to substitute a modicum of coconut oil for the 1/2 cup of butter the original recipe calls for. I ONLY use organic milk for reasons I think are best to skip while I’m writing a recipe that is suppose to be appetizing and delish.
Vegetarian Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1/3 c chopped celery
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 c flour (I use whole wheat)
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper – to taste
- 6 c organic milk
- 2 1/2 c (organic) veggie stock
- 1 lb (organic) chopped broccoli
- 8 oz (1/2 pound) of diced American cheese (If you’re like me, you can put in 16 oz and act like it was suppose to be that way.)
Saute celery and onion in coconut oil; add salt/pepper. Whisk flour into stock and whisk into sauteed ingredients. Add broccoli and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and add milk stirring constantly until creamy and broccoli is desired tenderness. Add cheese. Cook/stir until cheese melts. Serve.